AN ATTEMPT TO CHARACTERIZE, ANTHROPOMORPHIZE AND OTHERWISE DESCRIBE EVENTS AS THEY PERTAIN TO THE BOSTON RED SOX AND THE GAME OF BASEBALL. IN EFFECT, HERE TO TAKE YOU OUT TO A FEW BALLGAMES.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Reason #37

It was good to see Buckner yesterday. See him wobble to the mound. See the Fenway True respond as they always should have. To see him throw to Dwight Evans. That was nice. Odd. Eerie. But nice. Since I was old enough to understand the game, I realized it wasn't Buckner's fault. There were others more responsible for losing that game than he. Yet he is only seen, like achievement, because he stands atop their shoulders. So I am in concord with the man when he says he has never had to forgive the fans or the organization or baseball but the media. Media love a fall guy. He was the fall guy who never needed to fall. And so the media lushed upon him yesterday. Upon his ill-begotten knees. Openly splaying forgiveness and restitution for the man they wronged. But it was good to see him where he is: with a baseball in his hand at Fenway.

Opening Day at Fenway yesterday. In my wisdom I failed to get time off and was stuck at work while my father watched the game on a projection screen. No problem, I'll enjoy my hot dogs and ice cream and soda at home and watch the game delayed online. About eight o'clock I sit down for dinner after a bad, bad day and prepare to relax in tradition. The game comes on. One second before I switch to full screen mode, MLB.tv streams across my media player a graphic that reads: Dice-K pitches great as Red Sox win Home Opener.

Reason #37 why I hate MLB the organization.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad! Soo sad!