AN ATTEMPT TO CHARACTERIZE, ANTHROPOMORPHIZE AND OTHERWISE DESCRIBE EVENTS AS THEY PERTAIN TO THE BOSTON RED SOX AND THE GAME OF BASEBALL. IN EFFECT, HERE TO TAKE YOU OUT TO A FEW BALLGAMES.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

All Apologies For A Lack Of A Creative Post With A Creative Title

The medicine of the a cold winter has digested.
How's that for an opening sentence. Not so much? I toyed around with it for awhile. Don't much believe it myself. You see I want to write about how exciting it is that Spring Training is upon us. That the fog and mediocrity of a season without baseball has lifted. That pitchers and catchers and players have reported. That baseball is back. That it is, wait for it... wait for it... wait for it....
A spoonful of sugar!


And that's even worse. I think I've soiled any potential for readership. The boys of firejoemorgan.com are embarrassed. Tim McCarver, on the other hand, has just called: he wants his line back. And now Jerry Seinfeld's upset that I'm ripping him off. I can't win. There'll be no MacArthur award for me.

But the facts are these: spring training's upon us. Try as I might, I can't state it any better, with any more poetry or import or creativity. It is what it is. Grown men working to get back into game shape. Playing poor excuses for games that cost way too much to attend (I tried to go to a game in Fort Myers when we go to Miami in three weeks: $60+/per ticket!). Perhaps it was because the Yawkey Way folks lentus all a very quiet and inexpensive offseason. Or that we've now won the World Series twice(!) in my lifetime.

Spring training is a welcome occurrence, despite however little it does to get me geared up for the season these days. But it remains a sign of the glory to come, however bad the games are, however fat the players are, however expensive the games get.

To the point: Yada, yada, yada. Baseball is back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The imagination of youth has been replaced by the ramblings of an old man. Despite your addictions to the game, or more so the red sox, I hold that 'the game will be forever young; and bright the eyes of those who watch it for the first time.'

In the meantime, Bonds with the Rays [they left out 'Devil' in their new name], a trade off to get Bonds? He doesn't like working with relatives?